Applying to Oxford, Cambridge and other competitive U.K. universities
Our partners from Greene’s College, Oxford presented an introduction to applying to competitive U.K. universities with an extensive question and answer session at the end. The session covered:
- A brief introduction to the UCAS application process;
- What competitive universities are looking for in successful candidates;
- Suggested timelines for a successful university application;
- Hints on how to construct the perfect Personal Statement to help your application stand out;
- Aptitude/admissions tests – why universities use them, what they are looking to test and how to prepare for them;
- Why universities interview, what interviewers are looking for and common mistakes to be avoided;
- The 3 Ps of university preparation – planning, preparation and persistence.
Greene’s is Oxford’s oldest tutorial college and has over 50 years’ experience of preparing students for admission to leading universities both in the U.K.
Joining us from Greene’s were:
Matthew Uffindell – Director of University Preparation
Matthew has an M.A. in English Literature and Language from University College, Oxford. Since leaving he has had wide experience in teaching and organising university preparation courses for students. An experienced tutor and university lecturer, he has prepared hundreds of students for admission to competitive U.K. universities.
Alex Gray – Managing Partner (Academics)
Alex read for a Master’s in Mathematics at Magdalen College, the University of Oxford before going on to undertake research at the university in Mathematical Physics. A former Oxford college lecturer he has first-hand experience of the admissions process.
Rowena Fletcher-Wood – Senior Scientist
Rowena read for her Master’s in Chemistry at Somerville College, the University of Oxford before going to complete her doctorate at the University of Birmingham in environmental materials chemistry before going on to be a research fellow in the Department of Materials. An expert science communicator she has many years’ experience of tutoring and interviewing.